INDIA AFTER INDEPENDENCE
1. THE LAST Governor General of India - Lord Mount Batten
2. The first home minister of India was Sardar Vallbhabai Patel.
3. The firs president of India - Babu Rajendra Prasad.
4. Pondichery was declared a Union territory in 1963
5. The state Reorganisation Act came into force in 1956.
6. The constitution came into force on 26thJan 1950.
7. There were 562 princely states in India in the time of independence.
8. Integration of provinces was done by Vallaba Bai Patel.
2. Iron Man of India Vallaba Bai Patel.
3. The North west region occupied by Pakisthan is called as Pak -Occupied Kashmir.
4. Andra Pradesh became a state in 1953.
5. Mysore became the state on 1956.
6. Mysore state became the Karnataka state in 1973.
I. Choose the correct answer.
1. The creation of two Independent countries India and Pakistan based on this report.
a) Report of Lord Mount batten.
b) Report of Simon Commission
c) Report of Crips.
d) Report of Hunter.
2. The great effect happened the partion of India.............
a) problem of poverty b) unemployment
c) Education d) refugees
3. The last governor general of British East India
a) Lord Dalhouse b) Lord Mount Batten
c) Rad Cliff d) Irwin
4. The first prime minister of India
a) Nehru b) Vallabhai Patel
c)Mount Batten d) Dr. Rajendra prasad.
5. The first president of India............................
a) Nehru b)Dr. Rajendra Prasad
c) Vallabaipatel d) Lalbahaddur Shastry.
6. Our Indian Constitution came to existence in
a) Jan 26 1950 b) Nov.26 1949
c) August 1947 d) Aug 19, 1950
7. When the British left India, there were............................
princely states in India
a) 572 b) 562 c) 652 d) 563
8. The person who was called as the iron man of
a. Dadabai Naoroji b) Sardar Vallabai Patel
c. Jawaharla Nehru d) Gopalkrishna Gokhale.
9. The first home minister of India.....................
a) Jawaharla Nehru b) Mahatma Gandhiji c) Dadabai Naoroji d) Sardar Vallabai patel
10. Junagad State merged with Indian union in
a)1947 b)1949 c)1948 d)1950
11. The princely state which was merged with Indian
union in 1948..........
a)Jungad b) Hyderbad c) Kashmir d) Jammu
12. The king who does not wanted to merge with Indian union but wanted to be Independent.
a) Harisingh b) Shek Abdulla
c) Razak d) Ranjit Singh
13. The region which is also called pakoccupied
Kashmir even now. That region is ..................
a) NorthEast Kashmir d) South West Kashmir c) North west Kashmir d) South East Kashmir
14. The place which was declared a union territory in
1963 in India was .........
a) Pondichery b) Delhi c) Goa d)Lakshadweep
15. The colony which was established in India.....................
a) Make b) Goa
c) Machalipatna d) Kocchin
16. The State which remained as a union Territory till
1987, became a state later on, that State is......................
a) Goa b) Pandichery c) Mahe d)Kashmir
17. The Fazal Ali Commission was established
in the year................
a) 1935 b) 1950 c) 1947 d) 1953
18. The first state to be formed based on language in
a) Karnataka b) Tamilnadu
c)Andhra Pradesh d) Kerala
19. The state Reorganisation Act came into force in
a) 1973 b)1956 c) 1955 d)1950
20. The total states came into force in 1956 according
to the State Reorganisation Act..................
a) 14 states b) 28 states c) 15 states d) 30 states
21. Mysuru State came into force in the year.....................
a) August 15, 1956 b) November 1956
c) November 1 1973 c) Jan 26. 1950
22. Mysuru State renamed as 'Karnataka in the
a) 1956 b) 1973 c) 1937 d) 1950.
1. What were the problems faced by India after independence?
A: * rehabitation of refugees
* Communal riots
* formation of Government integration of various provinces
* Prdouction of food
* development of agriculture
* growth of industries etc.,
2. How did the country deal with the problems of refugees?
A: * The burden of providing shelter
* Employment, land, education, health care conducive so cial environment to these refuges fell on the government.
3. Who was the first Governor General of Independent India?
A: Lord Mount Batten
4. Who was the first Prime Minister of India?
A: Jawahrlal Nehru.
5. When did our constitution came into force?
A: Jan 26 1950.
6. Who was the first President of India?
A: Dr. Babu Rajendra Prasad.
7. According to the 42nd amendment of our constitution which are the phrases included?
* Secular and socialistic were added.
8. Which type of Democracy is in India?
A: Parliamentary democracy.
9. Mention the name of a person who was called as the iron man of India?
A: Vallabai Patel
10. Who was the first home minister of India?
A: Vallabai Patel
11. How many states were there when India got Indepen dence?
12. What were the three options given by British to princely states when India partitioned
* They could join the union of India
* They could join Pakistan
* They could remain Independent.
13. What were the facilities given to princely states merged with Indian union?
* given a privy purse
* In addition, they were given some special facilities ► and status.
14. When India did cancelled Privy Purse and other facilities?
15. Which were the three States opposed to merge with Indian union?
A: Junagadh, Hyderabad, Jammu and Kashmir.
16. Who was the main leader took part in merging princely states with Indian union.
A: Vallabhai Patel.
17. How Junagadh state merged with India?
A * Junagadah Nawab wanted to join Pakistan.
* The people of Junagadh revolt against the Nawab.
* Nawab ran away to Pakistan
* Junagadh merged with India in 1949.
18. How, Hyderbad princely state merged with India?
A: * With the intention of remaining independet, the Nizam refused to join the union of India.
* There was a severe hatred against Razakar the cruel army of the Nizam.
* The Indian Government sent an army and defeated
the Nizam, paving the way for merger of Hyderabad with the union of India in 1948.
19. Describe the problems of Jammu and Kashmir.
* King Harisingh of Jammu and Kashmir wanted to be
* The National conference of sheikh Abdullah which
fought for the freedom of Kashmir, finally decided that merging with India that had a demacratic republican constitution was better than merging with Pakistan which had a reli gious constitution.
* on 1st January 1949 the UNO ordered a ceasefire.
* North west region of Kashmir occupied by pakistan
is called pakoccupied Kashmir even now.
20. Describe the manner in which pondichery was liberated from the French.
A: The French colonies had continued their hold on pondich ery, kariakal, Mahe and chandranagar in post indepen dence of India. As a result of the struggle by the congress the communists and other organizations urging that it should be a part of India, in 1954, these provinces joined India.
21. When was pondichery declared as a union territory?
22. When was Goa liberated from portuguse.
23. When did Goa became a state?
24. How, Goa liberated from Portuguse?
A: * An endless struggle took place demanding the inclusion of Goa which was under the imperialist rule of Portugal with India.
* The Portuguese brought in additional troops from
Africa and Europe and tried to strengthen their hold by supress ing the movement.
* In 1955, satyagrahis from different parts of India gathered at Goa and began a liberation movement.
* In 1961, the Indian army intervened and took Goa
under its control.
25. Who went on a fast unto death satyagrah for the formation of Vishalandhra?
A: Potty Sriramulu.
26. When was Fazal commission created?
27. Mention the names of members of Fazal commission.
A: K.M. Panickker and H.N. Kunjru.
28. Which state was the first state to be formed based on Language?
29. When was the State Reorganisation Act came into force?
30. How many states created according the state reorganisation act of 1956?
A: 14 states and 6 union territories.
31. When was the Mysuru state came into existence?
A: Nov 1 1956
32. When was the Mysuru state renamed as Karnataka?
A: November 1 1973.
1. The merger of princely states to Inidian union was successfully done by sardar patel. Justify this statement.
A * When India got independence there were 562 princely states.
* The British had given there options to the provinces
they could join the union of India.
* They could join Pakistan
* With either of the nations, they could remain indepedent.
* The government of India under the 1974 integration act
* Those who joined in this way were given privy purse based on that province's income.
* In addition they were given some special faclities and status.
* Junagadha, Hyderabad and Kashmir did not want to join Indian union.
* Sardar patel took the leadership of merging princely states to Indian union.
* Based on the request made by the diwan of the province to Indian government the army was sent to junagadh to establish peace. Junagadh was merged with India in 1949.
* The Indian govenment sent an army and defeated the nizam paving the way for merger of hyderabed with the union of India in 1948.