PHYSICAL FEATURES OF INDIA
(2 marks 1 question)
1. Write about the Shivalik range
• They have lesser height
• they are also called the foot hills of the Himalayas
• These hills have narrow strips of plains or valleys which
are called "Dunes" Ex" Dehradune
• These are about 6001500 meters above the sea level.
2. Name the 3 main ranges of Himalaya
• Shivalik Mountains
• The Himachal Middle Himalaya
• Himadri - The Greater Himalaya
3. What are the advantages of Himalayas?
• They provide protection to India
• Obstructing the cold winds from the Siberian regions
• They are the birth place of many rivers
• They facilitate hydro - electric power generation
• Home for many types of plants and animals
• Great treasure house of minerals
• The Peninsular pleatu stretches from the south of the
Sutlej - Ganga plains up to the Indian Ocean in the south
• In the west Western Ghats and in the East eastern
• It has triangular shape being broad in the north and
• In the west Arabian Sea east Bay of Bengal and in the
south Indian Ocean
• The entire plain is formed by the deposition of alluvial soil brought by rivers which rises from Himalayas
I. Choose the correct answer and write:
1. It is the recent formation of Himalayan range.
a) Himalaya b) The greater Himalayas
c) Siwalik Range d) HImadri
2. It is the highest peak in India.
a) K2Godwin Austin b) Mount Everst c) Dhaualagiri d) Kanchenjunga
3. It is the most ancient physiographic division of India.
a) Coastal plains b) peninsular plateau
c) Northern mountains d) Northern great plains.
4. The great plains of the North are also called.
a) RaviGanga b) Narmada ganga
c) Sutlej Ganga d) Sutlej Yamuna.
5. This type of soil is deposited in North India plateau.
a) Red Soil b) Alluvial soil
c) Laterite soil d) Mountain soil.
1. This island is known as corat island.
a) Andoman island b) Nicobar island
c) Lakshadeep island d) St. Marry's island.
2. Lakshadeep islands are in this sea.
a) Arabian sea b) Bay of Bengal
c) Gulf of mannar d) Red sea
3. Himalayas mountain begins from here and extends upto Arunachal pradesh.
a) Pamir knot b) Nagaland
c) Badrinath d) Kailash ranga
1. The great peaks of himalayas kanchanjung Dhavalagiri Nanda devi, Goorishankar are in
a) Siwalik ranga b) Himachal
c) G rea te r H i*naisyiern G d^tssa ilash mountain
2. Chilka orissa Pulicat
a) Karnataka b) Kerala
c) Tamilnadu d) Andhra pradesh
3. Height of mount Everest is
a) 8648 meters b) 6848 meters
c) 8848 meters d) 8948 meters
4. The grea^ h-fimilayan range is in
a) Himachal b) Karakoram
c) Siwalik d) Himadri
II. Answer in a sentence :
1. Greater himalayas are known as himadri why?
A * There are highest peaks and the earlier ranges of the himalayas.
* This range is covered with snow hence it's called himadri.
III. Answer in 2 or 3 Sentence :
1. Name any four dunes of Siwalik ranga?
A * Dehradune, kota, Patli and Chaukhamba
• Udhampur and kotli
2. Explain the signigficance of passes in himalayas?
A * They provide transport facilities
• excellent lourist attractions.
1. What are 'Dunes'?
A. Siwalik range have narrow strips of plains or valley are called Dunes.
2. What is the influence of Himalayan mountain on Indian climate?
A. It obstruct the cold winds from Asia (Siberia).
3. How many islands belong to India?
A. There are 247 islands belonging to India.
4. What names do the western coast are known as in Maharashtra, Goa and in Karnataka?
A. Malabar coast & Konkan coast.
1. Name four main relief features of India?
A. • Northern mountains.
• Northern great plains.
• Peninsular plateau.
• Coastal plains.
2. Name any four ports of western coast?
A. Mumbai, Marmagoa, Cochin, & Kandla Karwar and Mangalore.
3. Northern great plains are called deposition plains why? A. • This area has the least variation in height.
• It is completely flat.
• Allecial soil is brought by the rivers
1. Name any two famous valleys of Himachal A: Kangra and Kulu.
2. Which range is known as the foot hills of the Himalayas? A: Siwalik range.
3. Which is the recently formed landmass in India?
4. From which rocks Andaman and Nico Bar islands are formed?
A: They are formed from hard volcanic rocks.
II. Answer in about 2 or 3 sentences:
1. What is the infulence of Himalayan Mountain on the life of Indians?
• They provide protection to India.
* Obstructing the cold winds form the Siberian.
* They are the birth place of many rivers.
* They facilitate hydroelectric power generation.
* They are the home to many types of plants and animals.
* Great treasure house of minerals.
* Significant for tourism and religious centers
2. The peninsular plateau has great economic significance Illustrate this statement?
A: * It has rich deposits of minerals.
* As the rivers have many forms water falls, the best suited
for the production of hydroelectricity.
3. How is western ghats differ from Estern Ghats?
A: * western ghats are very high.
* They are continuous.
* They are to the western side of Deccan Plateau.